Sunday, March 3, 2013

The American Dream-Fear


Janet Dodd                                                                                                                             Dodd 1

Professor Kelly Warren

ENC 1102

February 25, 2013

 

Fear

 

     In his first inaugural speech, Franklin D. Roosevelt said, “the only thing we have to fear is fear itself!” These immortal words effectively describe my life until now. My entire life has been about fear in some fashion. Fear can inhibit an individual from trying new experiences, to hide or hold back emotions, and effectively obtaining life goals or following or even discovering their dream. Fear can paralyze the strongest of men, but if overcome or harnessed; it can take you anywhere in life that you would like to go.

     There are times when fear can be a great resource. It can remind us of things that could be potentially harmful. Fear can even be good for you sometimes and even help you stay healthy. Fear of getting too close to a campfire may save you from a bad burn ( “Being Afraid” ).  We have the innate “fight or flight” defense mechanism built into our genetic makeup.  This allows us to react to a possible harmful situation. As important as this, fear is still something that is needed to be overcome.

     I grew up in a house with three brothers and no sisters. Needless to say, fear was not an option back then. If my older brother even smelled fear, he would pounce on me or my younger brother like a cat on a mouse. Being the only girl in the family, I was of course fragile in my mother’s eyes. If she could have only seen how far from the truth that was, maybe my life would have

                                                                                                                                                Dodd 2

taken a different turn. My constant struggle was the desire to try new things, have new experiences, while being told, “no, you can’t because you are a girl.” Not being able to go camping with my friends unless in was in my own back yard and not being allowed to drive my own car at night away from the house by myself are just couple of examples of my mother’s “girl paranoia.”  Needless to say, I grew up to be fearful of the unknown with the words, “you never know what might happen,” always and forever looming over my head. The words, “can’t,

shouldn’t, don’t” and “because you are a girl” became staples in my vocabulary; always hindering me.

     Fears create defense attitude that undercuts risk taking, individual initiative, creativity, and involvement in almost any wide-scale change imitative (Breaking 10). Stepping outside of your comfort zone is difficult in itself, however when met with discouragement and dissuasion makes it near impossible. There is always the possibility of something bad happening, but there is also the possibility of something wonderful happening. It is the uncertainty that we should embrace. Fear is normal…it only becomes a problems when we refuse to take steps to beat it (“Women’s Health Magazine Online”). Women’s Health Magazine printed an online article in the April/May 2005 issue stating that to conquer your fears you must fight back using four basic strategies; visualization, use words, diversion, acknowledge.  You must first picture yourself overcoming your fear to proceed to conquering it.  Then, avoid words with negative connotations, such as “I can’t,” or “I’m afraid.” Next, allow yourself to think of less intimidating ideas.  For example, instead of focusing on an entire crowd when publically speaking, focus on only one person or use imagery to alter the setting. Finally, acknowledge your fear.  Face it head on.

    

                                                                                                                                                Dodd 3

     Having experiences, whether good or bad, is another a part of life.  Different events do not have to have to define who we are, however how we handle the event can make a substantial difference in our lives. In 2005, I was afforded the opportunity to visit Uraguay with a friend to visit her husband’s family.  The country is very poor and families live together in small houses, therefore there was insufficient room for me to stay in the family house.  I was able to stay in a small hotel about 10 minutes away from the home by myself.  Armed with only two years of high school Spanish and words picked up from my Spanish speaking friends, I was only able to communicate fluently to ask the question, “Donde esta’ la biblioteca?” (Where is the library?). An amazing thing happens when you are completely submersed in a different culture; you tend to adapt to your environment.  Looking back on that time, I was able to step outside my comfort zone of and enjoy an entirely new experience in another country. 

     Since that part of my life, I have conquered many fears and had many life changing experiences.  I have changed my career path three separate times until finally deciding on what I would like to do with the rest of my life.  I have gone back to college to obtain the knowledge and degrees necessary to become a nurse, while conquering the biggest challenge of all; being a single mother.  To eliminate the fears associated with being a parent, I have turned my life over to God.  There is no way better to overcome your fears, than that.  Turn whatever fears you have over to God and you will be rewarded.  Fear is just a word.

  

 

    

 

 

                                                                                                                                    Dodd 4

Works Cited

 

     Breaking the cycle of fear. David Maxfield and Stephen Sears. Physician Executive. 33.4 (July-August 2007) p6.

     “Conquer Your Fears - Learn to Battle What Makes You Afraid Using These Fear-Fighting Tips.” Women’s Health Magazine, April/May 2005. Last updated January 4, 2012. Web. 26 Feb 2013. http://www.womenshealthmag.com/health/freedom-from-fear

     “Being Afraid.” Kids Health from Nemours, date reviewed January 2011 by D’Arcy Lyness PhD. Web 02 Mar 2013. http://kidshealth.org/kid/feeling/emotion/afraid.html#

 

 

 

 

 

 

6 comments:

  1. Very nice writing. Best wishes in your pursuit of being a nurse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your essay. It saddened me to see that your family kept you from branching out and doing the things you want to do. It seems as though you have gotten past that as you are pursuing the life you want, and good for you! I also like what you said about fear sometimes being a good thing. I agree with that and also with how fear should be overcome, especially if it is holding you back. You provided some great examples in your essay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! I was the only girl in my family, so I fully understand what you went through growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved it! Your introduction quote was very enticing. Loved the personal connection throughout.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fear is a factor that affects so many peoples in so many ways. One bad experience can curb anyone from repeating the behavior that caused the fear. There are also many that have a fear of trying new things because they are unsure of the results. Fear can be associated with positive and negative experiences. Your essay was well written and I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mr. Can't never could, I love your catchy phrasing, and your NO FEAR insperation!

    ReplyDelete