Monday, February 25, 2013

Journal 4-An American Dream


 
Journal 4-An American Dream

Mauricio Garcia’s presentation, “Find Your Passion, Live Your Purpose” was extremely thought provoking.  I must admit that I have been struggling with this my entire life.  I have never really known what I wanted to do with my life and I have honestly just been coasting through my life hoping that somewhere along the way I would figure it out.  I am now 44 years old and I think that I have finally discovered what that I want to be a nurse.  While struggling to find his place in a new country and fighting it every step of the way, Mauricio discovered his true calling.   His family wanted him to grown to have not only a life, but a good life.  We don’t always know what we need, but if we are lucky we can figure it out.

This presentation made me ponder my own life travels and things that made me who I am: being afraid to be out in public by myself, hiding back my emotions, being afraid of the unknown.  I continue to struggle everyday to overcome these obstacles.  

I could also relate to Mauricio’s stories of being in an unknown country, knowing only a handful of people and not being able to communicate effectively.  In 2005, I spent 2 weeks in Uruguay.  I knew very little Spanish and had to convey my wishes to others.  It is a challenge to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment