Monday, February 11, 2013

Journal 3 - Digital Nation

The video Digital Nation provided me with much to think about.  Trying to pick just one topic out of so many poses quite a challenge.  I have to say that I do feel that digital technology is very necessary in our world, but I am concerned about the video games and our young children.  I am a single mother of a 6 year old boy.  He has ADHD and when not medicated, it is difficult for him to focus on anything, unless it is something that captures his attention completely.  Video games seem to do just that, medicated or not. However, I have to limit the time that he spends on the computer or on his DS.  Luckily for me, he is still at the age that he likes younger children games and activities, as is on Disney Jr or Nick Jr.  I do not buy video games about killing people or that contain adult language.  I believe that children will learn about inappropriate things eventually and I would prefer for my child to be a child for as long as possible. 
Computers are wonderful teaching tools when handled correctly.  I loved the part of the video that talked about teaching "internet manners" to the children.  Personally, I think that there should be a class required to be taken anytime someone purchases a digital device for the first time. I have personally experienced several situations where a relative has posted something on Facebook that would be deemed "inappropriate" and when it was commented on by other family members, the emotions flared up and feelings where hurt to the point of causing one family member to stop speaking to another family member for over a year.  The entire problem could of and should have been handled face to face to avoid the hurt feelings.  One of the biggest problems with posting comments online or thru emails or texts is that there is no emotion in the message.  What one person may be sending as a joke could be misinterpreted as hurtful comments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment