Sunday, January 13, 2013

Journal 1


I have to say, I don’t remember much about ENC 1101.  I started college in the fall after high school graduation in 1986 with all intensions of going and finishing my AA degree within two years.  Unfortunately, life got in the way.  I got my very first job and learned the wonders of making money.  This was a new concept for me, so needless to say, it took me over.  School became secondary and eventually was put on hold.  I have taken classes here and there over the past twenty-four years as I was uncertain of what exactly I wanted to do as a career.  I recently had an epiphany and decided what I really wanted to do.  Now, I am working towards that career goal.

I took ENC 1101 in 1998.  The only thing that I can remember is writing several short essays and reviewing punctuation and grammar rules, but mostly writing essays.  There is one essay in particular that I can really remember.  We came into class and there were two essays topics written on the chalkboard.  The one that I chose to write about was, “Should Teenagers Have to Wait until Age 18 to Get Their Drivers License?”  I personally believe that teenagers should have to wait until age 18 to get the permanent drivers license.  Currently, teenagers are eligible to get their license at the age of 16.  Their parents are still responsible for their actions.  They are not legally eligible to sign a contract, which essentially that is what a permanent driver’s license is.  In general, they are not mature enough to handle that amount of responsibility.

I have been working in a business environment for over twenty-four years.  My jobs have required me to write letters to clients, inter-office memorandums, and reports. I feel that this experience has made my writing skills maybe slightly better than average in regards to format only.  I feel that my biggest weakness is that I tend to write like I speak.  This is not good in a business environment.  It is also difficult for me to utilize bigger more sophisticated words.  I would like for my writings to sound more educated.

1 comment:

  1. Great start and great job getting everyone's blogs loaded into your sidebar! Welcome to blogging!

    ReplyDelete